Saturday, July 9, 2011

Toddler-isms

I absolutely love when little toddlers start talking. I think it is one of the funniest stages they go through. My two little ones are no exception. They crack me up daily! They are such smart little girls. I promise I'm not just biased ... even their daycare teacher says so. (She also says they are her favorite!!) These are the moments I want to "jot down" so I can look back later and laugh remembering some of their little toddler-isms.

They are learning their colors and doing really well at it. Madeline can pronounce them better, but Annabel is more accurate on getting the colors correct. So I always ask them what color things are. A couple of days ago I was feeding them mandarin oranges. I thought I'd throw them a softball and asked "what color are your oranges?" Without hesitation, Annabel said "Lellow!" (That's yellow.) It was pretty funny. It's pretty clear that yellow is her favorite color. She constantly identifies things that are yellow, and gets so excited. And I LOVE hearing her say "lellow" with her tongue sticking out of her mouth.

Another equally funny one (but also kinda gross) ... I was changing Annabel's diaper, and it was a bad one. Madeline looked over and saw us and said "Oooh, chocolate." Uh, not so much. I laughed so hard, which was probably not good because then she started saying "chocolate" every time she sees a dirty diaper ... hers or her sisters. I guess the flip side of that was tonight when they were eating chocolate yogurt, and Madeline said "look ... poop."

A sweeter moment was in the car today when James was a bit fussy. He is rear facing in the middle row of the mini van, and the girls are both in the back row, so he has full time entertainment watching them. Madeline kept looking at him with her little head cocked and concern in her eyes saying "what matter, James?"

One morning this week, I was completely worn out from baby bro not sleeping and probably looking about as good as I felt. I had on some old pjs and ratty robe. While I was sitting between them during breakfast, Madeline grabbed my arm and said "coot, mommy, coot." (that means "cute.") Annabel joined in and laid her hand on my other arm and was saying "coot, coot" too. Aww, thanks girls.

And of course there is the constant "go away, Rocky" (the dog who begs for their food), "hush, Sadie" (the dog who always barks), or "no ma'am, Clubber" (the male dog). That's my little bossy Madeline. I can't imagine where she heard those phrases?!?!?!? ha.

I love to expand their vocabulary, and they are really catching on and repeating everything. We watch a lot of Sesame Street around here, and they always do the Word of the Day. Today during our walk, I was messing with their stroller shades. Madeline was getting frustrated. She tends to want things a certain way and sometimes throws a wee bit of a fit if she doesn't get her way. (That's a nice way of calling her my little drama queen!!) So I told her I was doing that for better air circulation. Then she kept saying "cir cu ya tion" ALL the way home. I think she said it about 50 times. That's the word of the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment