Saturday, January 12, 2013

A moment in time

Almost half way through January, and I have not found the time to sit down and catch up on the blog. I intend to ... and WILL ... catch up on the big events like Christmas. We had such a wonderful Christmas! But sometimes it is the small things ... just a moment in time ... that I want to capture and remember months or years from now.

Like today.  A rainy dreary but unseasonably warm Saturday morning in January.  After an early 5:00 a.m. wake-up call by Elliot, I got to crawl back in bed, snuggle him back to sleep, and stay in bed until 8:00 while daddy supervised the two very playful toddlers who rose at 6:15 demanding juice.  (Sweet James slept until 8:30, but that's another story.  He is the best sleeper ever!!)  Daddy made french toast.  And then I decided to take the kids for a walk in the rain.  They loved it.  Santa brought the girls new pink rain boots and a Dora umbrella (of course!), so they got to try those out.  And of course little James just loves to go anywhere his big sisters get to go.  So sweet.



We jumped in puddles, splashed, skipped and got a little wet.  But it was a nice Saturday morning moment that I want to savor and remember.

And little Elliot.  What a little sweetie.  I've had many "melt my heart" moments with all my kids, but with each of them, there has always been one that really stood out that I wrote on the blog.  Elliot's "moment" came the night before last.  He was so exhausted after a long day that he fell asleep after dinner, and I apparently let him sleep too long because he had NO interest in going back to sleep at 10 p.m.  So I rocked him and sang.  And that little happy face looked up at me, spit his paci out, and started singing along with me.  He was grinning from ear to ear, holding my fingers tightly, and was giving it all he had.  I kept singing, and he kept smiling and singing.  It was absolutely what I needed after a long day, and I cannot deny getting very teary eyed as I sang "You are my sunshine."  He really is such a little sunshine. I am so happy and thankful that he is feeling better these days because that smile he has now is so wide that it looks like it will crack his face, and it lights up a room ... and my heart!  I did not capture that moment on camera, but this is my favorite picture from this week of him fresh out of the bath.  He is just so yummy.


So I feel good now that I have memorialized these moments.  I worry that life is so crazy right now and is sometimes such a blur that I might not really remember anything.  That's why I love having this to look back on and read, regardless of whether anyone else in the world is reading it.  And my blog has tended to get away from the little moments and funny stories lately in lieu of posting about big events like a timeline with photos (usually lots of photos).  And that's fine too.  Since it is my "scrapbook," I definitely want to have those included too.  But maybe for the new year, I need to resolve to slow down and breathe in all the little moments before my little babies get too big because we all know how time flies.

1 comment: