Friday, May 31, 2013

Mothers

Where do I even begin?  As we celebrated Mother's Day this year, I tried to just soak it all in ... every bit of the chaos that comes with having a house full of four kids under 4.  I was also reminded that I have been pregnant for three out of the last four Mother's Days ... that coming after years of wanting to bury my head in my pillow on Mother's Day to avoid seeing all the happy mommies and babies.  Yes, my turn did come ... and again ... and again.  I just had to wait on His plan, not mine.  And He blessed us more than we ever could have imagined ... chaotic house and all.

This Mother's Day was also the first time we attempted to take all four kids out to eat, and as we were getting everyone ready, I questioned my sanity.  But they did remarkably well, especially considering we went to a very nice restaurant.  So, I think we will call that a win and not push our luck and attempt dining out with 4 under 4 again anytime soon.  Ha!

And of course I had to take the traditional Mother's Day picture.  We just moved into our new house, so I had to take advantage of the big family sized rocking chair on our front porch.  I just love it and hope to spend lots of time rocking out there.




But my real point of writing this is not to show off more pictures of me and my kids (although I very much enjoy doing that).  It is to say thank you to two moms who got me where I am today ... my mom and my mother-in-law. The support, encouragement and love I had from both my "moms" during our childless years was indescribable.  They, along with our entire family, prayed for us and were there for us through the whole journey.  I could not have asked for anything more.  And I will NEVER forget the looks on the faces of these two beautiful ladies when we told them we were expecting!  I was in my mom's kitchen when I got the call ... oh, that call.  The one that comes after a round of treatments.  You know the day and time they are supposed to call, and you wait, almost unable to breathe, holding your phone and checking it every 5 seconds to make sure it is on.  I had received those calls before, and they left me in tears.  But this one was different.  It came earlier than expected and surprised me while I was at my parents' house.  And it was two days before Christmas, so I knew that would be a difficult time to receive bad news.  My heart (and stomach) about jumped out of my body when it rang and I saw the number.  When I heard the nurse's voice blurt out the good news (thank you for not beating around the bush!), I know my mom felt exactly what I felt.  Shock and elation.  She and I grinned from ear to ear, hugged, laughed and cried.  What a moment to FINALLY get that news!  And my mother in law's reaction was equally as enthusiastic and wonderful.  I had so much fun with my mom and mother-in-law throughout the pregnancy.  They were both so ready to be grandmothers of our twin girls.  I love the pictures below of the both of them together ... celebrating with me at a baby shower ...


... and then with the girls the very first time Madeline and Annabel both joined us in our hospital room.


I love that they are together in those pictures like a team ... our team ... rooting us on, supporting us, lending a hand (or a lot of hands), etc.  The phrase "it takes a village" ... well, I learned that to be absolutely true with twins, and then even more so with all four.

So before May winds down, I want to take an opportunity to say the biggest heartfelt thanks that I can to our moms for being there for me and WITH me as I became a mom and as I continue to learn how to be a better mom thanks to their support and guidance, past, present and future.  I could NOT have done this without them.

To mom/grandmommy and Jaboo, Happy (late) Mother's Day from all of us!  Thank you for EVERYTHING.  Your grandchildren love you more than you will ever know and are so lucky to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment