Friday, August 10, 2012

August birthdays

The August birthdays in our family has always been crazy.  Then I married an August birthday, had twin August babies, and now am about to add another August baby to the clan.  Suffice it to say we need a savings account for August birthdays like lots of people save for Christmas.

Just last weekend we celebrated August birthdays of 5 family members ... my dad's on the 2nd, the twins AND my grandfather's on the 3rd, and my brother's on the 4th.  And since a couple of those were big birthdays, we had a party filled weekend.  And by "big" birthdays, I mean my grandfather's 90th and my dad's 70th.  Those are some numbers to be proud of!  

We had a wonderful celebration for my Paw-Paw on Friday night with all our family and lots of friends.  It was definitely an event to honor him and his 90 years.  I loved looking through all the old photos and loved hearing all the cousins pay tribute to what he means to us.  And my younger brother even wrote a funny poem!  He won the award for Entertainer of the Night.  Who knew?  As for me, I wanted everyone to know that underneath that intelligent, church going, family loving, wonderful father/grandfather/friend/citizen, etc. was a silly goofy "Pawpaw" who loved to entertain his grandchildren and now great-grandchildren.  I remember all the funny songs and riddles he used to sing to me and games we used to play.  I remember him taking me for bike rides, to the swimming pool or golf course, or out to eat in their small town and having the best time.  And now, I see him doing some of those same activities with my little ones.  My little girls love their Pawpaw, too!     

Thanksgiving 2011 with my 3 kiddos.
Playing with Madeline
Being Annabel's sticker book.
Hanging with James at his 1st birthday party.
Sweet great grandfather moment. 
Getting into the spirit at the girls' 2nd birthday party luau.
And as you can see, always smiling!  I have always said how lucky I am that I had all four of my grandparents still living until I was 25 years old.  They were all very involved in my life and there was never a doubt that they loved their grandkids more than anything.  And both my dad's parents and mom's parents were married over 60 years ... I think PawPaw said Friday night that they just celebrated their 66th wedding anniversary.  What an example to all of us.  I miss my Meme and Pop (my dad's parents) dearly and wish every day that they had gotten to meet my children, but am so very thankful for the 25 and 26 years I had with them.  And I am so grateful for my Nannie and PawPaw and continue to make memories with them!  What an amazing pair they still are.  So now that the 90th birthday party is over, I guess we can start planning for the 100th!  

And my dad.  Where do I even start?  How did I get blessed with such a wonderful dad.  Saying he is a "family man" does not even come close to describing the love and devotion he has shown towards all of us.  And saying I'm a "daddy's girl" is an understatement, too.  I am so thankful for my dad and so many of his qualities ... to many to even begin to list or write about without writing a book.  One thing I think is so very important in a father and that I have been so lucky to have is the teaching and guidance.  My dad has been one of my biggest supporters and advocates, but also one of my biggest reality checks.  He is not a dad who thinks his child can do no wrong and is always there to bail them out or hand them things on a silver platter.  And while that would have been easier for me at times, I am thankful that was not his way.  Don't get me wrong.  He has ALWAYS been there for me and has given me more love and support that I could ever ask for.  And he has always put his children and family first as far as doing whatever he needed to or could to take care of us and help us.  But what I mean is this ... If I'm in the wrong, he will tell me.  When making a big decision, he would guide me but allow me to make it one my own.  And when I have messed up or dealt with something difficult, he has always been right there to support me and encourage me while I figure out how to get through it, make it right, deal with the consequences.  And because of that, I have come through every hard time or challenge as a stronger person, not because he simply bailed me out of it, but because he helped me learn from it and helped me figure out how to be stronger for it.  THAT is the love of a father.  I will be forever grateful for every single time he offered a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen, or his own experiences or wisdom to pass on to me.  Thanks, Dad!

I have so many treasured pictures of my dad with my kids.  I prayed and waited for so long to be able to give them grandchildren.  Growing up, he always used to tell us that he hoped to have 15 grandchildren one day.  I finally gave him #12 and #13 ... and then #15!  I announced my pregnancy with James by having a onesie monogrammed with #15 on it and giving it to them to open.  Surprise!!  I will never forget the look of excitement and happiness on his face as he opened that little gift bag and knew instantly what that #15 meant.  (It took my other family members a little longer to figure it out.  ha!)  But little did any of us know then that the real surprise would be #16 ... their bonus grandchild!  ha.

These are just a few of the photos that I love.

Welcoming (and comparing) Madeline and Annabel. 
Their first Nix family Christmas Eve.
Grandmommy and Granddaddy on Labor Day 2010 with their then 13 grandchildren.
Welcoming James.
A beautiful picture of my mom and dad after James's baby dedication in Aug. 2011. 
James's first Christmas.  He LOVES his granddaddy.
 And Dad, I had to do it ... I love this picture from just last weekend and had to post it!  Happy 70th Birthday to my dad.  Showing his sense of humor and style at his birthday celebration.  It's your party and you can wear what you want to!  You are one of a kind, and I love it.  And I am so very proud to be your daughter!


And for anyone who has ever said my dad looks stern or serious ... can you still say that after seeing that picture?

While I'm on the subject of family, I wanted to add this picture of my wonderful mom and dad and all of my siblings and spouses from last weekend.  While some may complain about having to take pictures, it is well worth it to have a picture of all of us together. 


I am beyond blessed with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment