Kids are smart. And very intuitive. I feel certain that my three wee ones know something big is about to change. Of course the girls do. We talk about the baby in my belly daily... and Annabel has decided she has a baby in her belly too! And the house has been flip flopped around and new things change daily. And believe me, they don't miss a thing. Very observant little girls.
But I guess with big change comes stress for the little ones. Annabel has started waking up during the night or VERY early in the morning and coming into our room. I even caved one night and let her sleep in our bed. It was 2:00 a.m. and she had been in there 7 times already. Mommy needed sleep! But that was one time. I wised up and reminded myself that could not happen after baby brother gets here, so we tried to nip it in the bud. And Madeline has regressed on her potty training. I'm sure that is a very common thing when big changes occur. I'm at a loss about what to do with that one though other than just ride it out, encourage her, and hope for the best.
And little James. Little momma's boy James. He has hit that separation anxiety age/phase. Is it the age or that he knows something is about to change? And while I am so happy and honored to be the recipient of all that love and clinginess, it is getting hard to tote around a 24 pound toddler who is stuck to you like glue. He loves nothing more than for me to rock him and sing to him. He has to be getting uncomfortable sitting on my lap (that does not really exist anymore) and getting kicked and punched by baby brother who does not want him sitting on him. But he just snuggles and even sings along with me. It is precious. And that's why I do it. I am trying to savor every moment like this before our world gets crazy again. Part of me wonders if I should milk it for all it's worth the next couple of weeks (with the snuggle time) or start weaning him off of me so it won't be a total shock when I'm not around or when I cannot lift him for weeks/months after a csection. I think I will milk it! But having to share me with a new brother is going to rock his little world.
So yes, they know. They may not know how much their world is about to change, but I'm trying to prepare them for it gently. I know they will love and welcome their new baby brother. Of course I know that adding another does not take love away from another child but just multiplies it, just as when James was born. But say a little prayer for me that everyone adjusts well to the new family member and that I find a way to give every single one of them the time, affection, and nurturing that they need and deserve. Mommy is a little stressed about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment