Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday!

Today my baby girls turn 2 years old!  I can hardly believe it.  On one hand I wonder where the time has gone.  On the other hand, it is hard to even remember life before them.  They are the most wonderful blessings (and miracles) that I could ever imagine.  My prayers were answered and dreams came true the moment I first held these tiny bundles in my arms.

Oh how they have grown ... from those tiny peaceful little angels to the beautiful and FULL of personality little 2 year olds they are today.  I try to take some time out from the chaos that pretty much takes over our house these days to remember back to those first few days with them at home and how I could just sit and snuggle with them BOTH on my chest for hours.  I remember one day when I did just that.  Daddy had gone back to work, and it was just us girls hanging out at home.  I think I sat on the couch feeding them and snuggling with them all day.  Nothing else in the world matterd. Kinda like this ...

I remember their smell, how tiny they were in my hands, and just the sense of overwhelming joy I felt.  I am so thankful for that day and all the other times like that when I really stopped to breathe it all in.  Those times will be in my memory and heart forever.

Fast forward to now.  There is NO sitting still and snuggling with my two "babies" anymore.  It is go go go!  But that's ok.  That's just part of growing up, and I'm so happy and excited to watch them grow and learn.  Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than when they learn a new word or song or to watch their face as they experience something new.  They are so very curious and smart. 

But as hectic as things are, I'm going to take this moment to again slow and breathe it in and to think about everything my little girls are doing and experiencing now.  The laundry on the couch needing to be folded can wait.  My baby girls woke up this morning as 1 year olds, and I just tucked them in bed as 2 year olds.  I want to relish this moment and think about all the things I LOVE about my little girls. So here are a few ...

Madeline, I love it when you ...

- wear your emotions on your sleeve.  You can be so happy one minute and so NOT happy the next.  I love your passion.

- show us your quirky sense of humor.  We think you are going to be quite witty.  Those silly looks or quick comebacks are quick impressive for a girl your age. 

- shout out "Jeee-im" at your daddy.  (Is that how I say it?)  I know we need to refrain from laughing at that, but it is funny.  I guess I need to start calling him "daddy" too, huh?

- call your sister Annabel Grace when you get impatient or mad at her.  I laugh every time I hear you yell "Annabel Gwace, come here!"

- boss everyone around.  I know I'm not supposed to laugh at that either, but it is so darn funny.  "Daddy, sit down," "Mommy, watch this," and so on.  I love the "watch this" thing.  You like to have all eyes on you!

- swim like a little fish.  You love the water!  You say "swimming, swimming" pretty much every day when I pick you up from daycare.  You are not afraid at all and even jumped off the diving board last week!

- devour macaroni and cheese.  You love it!  At almost every meal, you look at me and say "roni roni, right here" as you point to your plate.  Sorry baby, but we don't eat macaroni and cheese for breakfast.  :>)

- have to carry both your blankets with you (they are the same blanket ... one was for each of you but you claimed them both) in the mornings when you get out of bed.  And nobody better take those away from you until you are good and awake.

- say "too" after everything your sister (or anyone) says.  If she asks for her paci, you say "paci, too" or if she wants to potty, you say "potty, too."  Or "juice, too" or "go outside, too," etc.  You do not want to be left out!

- shout out "big truck" and get so excited every time we pass a truck.  You are so observant and inquisitive. 

- repeat everything!  I hope that doesn't get me in trouble one day.  ha. 

- sing!!  You like to pick the song (usually Twinkle Twinkle or ABCs), and sometimes you want me to sing it with you and sometimes you don't.  And you tell me when you don't! 

And Annabel, I love it when you ...

- show us your imagination.  I watched you tonight as you lined up your chairs and your stuffed animals new chairs and put everyone in their place in front of the tv just like a little mommy.  So cute.

- say "potty, potty, potty" and run across the house stripping your clothes off as you go.  (Well, I really don't love that part, but it is part of growing up.)  You are getting quite independent with that.  The only downside to all that is you are stripping your clothes off at night.  So it is footed zipped up sleepers for you so we don't have naked girl in the morning.

- say "ma ma ma" for grandmama.  That's what the oldest nephew called her when he was little, and no other child has since, so it is so interesting that you call her that.  Takes us all back to when Brandon was learning to talk 17 years ago.

- ask me to cover you up with your blanket at night and say "side side side," which means you want the silky side of the blanket against you.

- name everything you see that is yellow.  Don't know where that came from, but you love yellow.  I've started buying yellow clothes because that is always what you pull out of your drawer to wear.

- get so excited when you see a bug.  Really, I don't love that because you try to touch or grab whatever bug it is, but I think it is so interesting to see your obession with bugs.  I laugh every time I hear you squeal with excitement and say "bitzy spider" (sounds more like "bizy pider") and do the little hand motions when you see a spider. 

- have to buckle everything up (carseat, high chair, etc.) when you get out of it.  And I'm also noticing you have to line everything up.  I laugh at your little OCD tendencies. 

- get quiet because I KNOW you are doing something you are not supposed to do.  Like running back to my bathroom and turning on the water to my tub, especially when a pile of folded clothes had falled off the edge into the tub.

- find stickers on everything.  Doesn't matter if it is a price tag, the Dole banana sticker or what.  They are all the most wonderful prizes to you, and you can't see a sticker and not put it on you.

Both my girls are so funny and quirky and very entertaining.  We sure had fun today.  Unfortunately they had to go to daycare more of the day.  But I took cupcakes and their leftover luau birthday stuff to their daycare this afternoon to have a little party there.  They enjoyed eating their cupcakes with their friends!



Then we made our first trip to Build a Bear and met my friend Terry.  She spoiled them rotten and bought them all kinds of stuff.  They loved checking out the store.  How much are those babies in the window?  ha.


And when they finally picked out what animal they wanted (it is hard to explain the concept of "pick one" to a 2 year old), they liked watching their animals get made and especially putting the heart in it.  I think each of their animals has about 5 hearts because they kept wanting to put more in, and luckily the lady there has a 2 year old of her own so was very patient with them.  :>) 


Then Annabel had to do a little store rearranging.  Had to line everything up just right!


Did I mention that their "Aunt Terry" spoiled them?  They came home with dogs, bunny and bear, a bed for each girl (as pictured above), accessories, etc. I should have taken a picture of all our bags.  I think she made them Build a Bear fans for life! 

That was followed by a pizza dinner (one of your favorites), more presents from mommy and daddy, a lot of playing with your new Build a Bears, and finally heading to bed ... although it is 9:25 right now, and I still hear Annabel awake.  Guess she had too much sugar and excitement today!

I'm thankful to have been able to spend this afternoon with just the two of them, and I think I enjoyed their birthday as much as they hopefully did.  So Happy Birthday, my little angels.  Sleep tight, and I hope this next year brings all kinds of fun and adventure to your lives.  Love, Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment